UK frontier controls start January 2022

Here's what's changing if you import from the EU to GB.

2021 helped the trader by allowing them to delay their customs declarations

Since January 2021 traders moving controlled goods into GB from the EU could EITHER submit a full customs declaration or CHOOSE to use the Simplified Customs Declaration Procedures (if they were authorised to do so) – this included those moving excise goods. This meant the pre-lodged import entry was not connected to the customs boarder and the truck/trailer was not delayed if the pre-lodgement was not ready at the time of crossing the frontier.  

2022 the pre-lodged customs declarations must be pre-lodged before a frontier is crossed

From 1st January 2022, any shipment moving controlled goods into the UK from the EU must be lodged on the GVMS system (for each consignment) in order to get a GMR number. Without a GMR number at check-in at the EU port/terminal the shipment won't be allowed to travel.

  • GVMS applies to all UK ports without inventory linked systems such as Dover, Eurotunnel and Holyhead
  • GVMS introduced to capture details of vehicles and enable faster clearance
  • This will be the responsibility of the haulier (has been tested for GB to NI movements)


Safety and Security declarations for imports now required

ENS Safety and Security Declarations required for imports will be a requirement on imports to the GB from July 2022. You will be required to submit your relevant ENS (S&S GB) each time you import AND export goods out of the UK.

  • ENS is the responsibility of the haulier

Export Health Certificate requirements for agri-foods

The new requirements for Export Health Certificates, which were due to be introduced on 1 October 2021, will now be introduced on 1 July 2022. Goods will need to be accompanied by an Export Health Certificate authorised by a veterinarian in the EU member state of departure.

  • Check the appropriate EHC has been obtained prior to shipment and obtain a copy for IPAFFS
  • Ensure your goods travel through an official Border Control Post port
  • Ensure shipments are accompanied by physical Export Health Certificates

Pre-notification and phytosanitary certificates for plant, plant products and timber based products

  • Register as an importer on PEACH (Procedure for Electronic Application for Certificates from the Horticultural Marketing Inspectorate)
  • Receive Phytosanitary certificates provided by the supplier
  • Ensure goods travel with original phytosanitary certificates

Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) checks on animal and animal products, plants and plant products at Border Control Posts

Certification and physical checks will be introduced for all dairy products

Certification and physical checks will be introduced for all remaining regulated products of animal origin, including composite products and fish products

Imports into the EU

  • Please be aware that for the importation of animals, animal products, food and feed of non-animal origin and plants into the European Union, your customer may need to provide pre-notification on the EU TRACES system
  • How does TRACES work'

If you need help or just some advice, we'll be happy to take your call or enquiry

Back to news

Request a
call back

I'm interested in